So here is my list of useful guitar apps that are available for the iPhone (because it is easier to take with you) than the ipad. All of the apps are FREE except Garageband and Guitar Jam Tracks.
My schema for organizing and the apps I chose are as follows:
Apps for Studying / Lessons:
- Fretsurfer - functions like a game helping you learn note locations on the fretboard
- Chords - like the name, it is a simple no nonsense diagram of all chords for the guitar
- Virtual Guitar Free - an electronic progammable guitar, great for playing along or when you don't have your guitar with you.
- Top 100 Guitar Songs - video lesson from super teacher Marty Schwarz - breaking down the top requested guitar songs. Videos hosted on Vimeo.
Apps for Recording & Creating:
- Garageband - Apple's easy to use interface turns the iphone into an instrument, can plug in to record ($5.49)
- Ampkit - a free plug in sound / effects and amplifier kit - lets you create the sound you desire
- Soundcloud - record your own sounds, share with others via web and connect with others using the social sound platform
- GuitarJam Tracks - learn to solo over professionally recorded tracks in the key you choose. Each key includes a list of chords and scale charts. This app is not free but almost $1.99
Apps as Tools / Gear:
- Epic Chromatic Tuner - Simple tuner with all of the tuning options like open and drop tuning
- Ludwig Metronome - I like the simple dial and minimal bells and whistles - just the beat
- Gibson Learn & Master - and all in one free app which includes metronome, tuner, chords and a recording option. Highly rated and good for the beginner